Make a direct to VOR navigation aid[PDF]
This is a chart showing:
- The aircraft coloured in orange
- VHF Omnidirectional Range - VOR : TRENT TNT 115.7MHz
- NDB : WHI 368kHz
- Airfields: EGOE Ternhill ; EGBD Derby ; EGCT Tilstock
The purpose of the example is to go direct to the TNT VOR from the present position
In order to properly fly to this VOR, please refer to the following page: VOR receiver
Flying inbound a VOR
Establish the reception of the VOR
- Tune the VOR frequency on the NAV frequency selector of your choice
- Verify that the VOR instrument is updated (arrow moved from standby position to the beacon)
Tune the course on navigation instrument
There are different ways to make a direct to a VOR but, we will give you one of the simplest methods.
- Turn the OBS selector (figure 1)
- Turn until you will have the white triangle pointed to the TO mark and Turn until the vertical needle is centered:
- BAD: needle centred but indicator shows FROM (figure 2)
- BAD: TO indicator is showing but needle not centred (figure 3)
- GOOD: TO indicator and needle centred (figure 4)
Turn to the VOR
In our example, Course is 80, aircraft turn to 080° heading.
After this turn, the needle, like our example above, can move a little to the right or to the left.
You can make some little adjustment:
- Centre the NAV needle using OBS navigation button again
- Set heading to the new course indication on your instrument
Mind the wind effect
- Turn in direction of the needle (in our example to the right) in order to centre the needle.
- When the needle is centred, adjust your heading again to the selected navigation course.
Of course, you can compensate for the wind effect by selecting a new heading.
After aircraft manoeuvre and having added some degrees in the heading to compensate wind.
Overhead the VOR
Go forward from the beacon
- Maintain the needle of the VOR navigation instrument centred, and the indicator to FROM position
- Use the same course heading
- VID 150259 - Creation
- VID 200696 - Wiki integration
DATE OF SUBMISSION
- 02:26, 14 May 2021
- This documentation is copyrighted as part of the intellectual property of the International Virtual Aviation Organisation.
- The content of this documentation is intended for aviation simulation only and must not be used for real aviation operations.