Flight plan with flight rules Y or Z[PDF]
Yankee or Zulu flight rules
In summary, the letters will denote the category of flight rules which the pilot intends to comply:
- I when the whole flight will be under IFR
- V when the whole flight will be under VFR
- Y when the first part of the flight will be under IFR and later changed into VFR
- Z when the first part of the flight will be under VFR and later changed into IFR
Yankee flight rule
When the Flight Rule is Y, then the IFR route has to be filled until the last IFR point.
- Add the key word “VFR”.
- Then continue with your detailed VFR flight plan; you can use “DCT” if this flight plan is not mandatory.
MAG UZ20 MOSEK VFR DCT
This means the flight will depart IFR and remain IFR till MOSEK, after MOSEK the flight will continue VFR
“Request cancelling my IFR flight”
“After MOSEK, Report VMC to cancel IFR”
“At MOSEK, under VMC conditions”
"IFR CANCELLED AT 10:00 UTC, continue descent/navigation under visual flight rules"
Zulu flight rule
When the Flight Rule is Z, then the VFR route has to be filled until the first IFR point.
- Add the key word “IFR” after the first IFR point with its requested altitude and true airspeed.
- Then continue with your detailed IFR flight plan until destination.
KLF DCT TADUV/N0280F140 IFR T172 DEJAB L665 TOK
This means the flight will depart VFR and remain VFR till TADUV, after TADUV the flight will continue IFR at FL140 with true airspeed 280 Knots.
“At KLF, request IFR at TADUV”
“Report TADUV, climb FL140”
"IFR activated at 10:00 UTC, route DEJAB"
Flight rule change in flight
The controller shall prescribe conditions and/or limitations with respect to the submission of flight plans during the flight to ATC units.
Change from IFR to VFR
- notify the appropriate air traffic services unit specifically that the IFR flight is cancelled
- communicate thereto the changes to be made to his current flight plan
The change from an instrument flight rules (IFR) flight to a visual flight rules (VFR) flight is only acceptable when a message initiated by the pilot-in-command containing the expression “CANCELLING MY IFR FLIGHT”, together with the changes from IFR flight to VFR flight, is sent.
No reply, other than the acknowledgement “IFR FLIGHT CANCELLED AT
Change from VFR to IFR
- communicate the necessary changes to be effected to his current flight plan
- submit a flight plan to the air traffic services unit and obtain a clearance prior to proceeding IFR when in controlled airspace
VFR departure of an IFR
If your flight plan is IFR and you want to take off from a non-controlled and non IFR airfield, you can make a VFR departure under VMC conditions from this airfield. When climbing to your first route point, you shall call the en-route controller (if connected) in order to get your IFR clearance in the air.
- VID 150259 - Creation - Wiki integration
- VID 150259 - Update - January 2020
DATE OF SUBMISSION
- 08:40, 22 January 2020
- This documentation is copyrighted as part of the intellectual property of the International Virtual Aviation Organisation.
- The content of this documentation is intended for aviation simulation only and must not be used for real aviation operations.