Collective Pitch Control[PDF]
The collective pitch control (or "collective") is located on the left side of the pilot’s seat:
The main function of the collective is to raise or lower the helicopter through various mechanisms that have an effect on the main rotor
Use of the Collective Pitch Control
The collective can be raised or lowered vertically, usually with the pilot's left hand:
The primary effect of moving the collective will be a change in height
- When the pilot raises the collective: there is an equal increase in the pitch angle of all the main rotor blades → the angle of incidence increases → helicopter climbs
- When the pilot lowers the collective: there is an equal decrease in the pitch angle of all main rotor blades → the angle of incidence decreases → helicopter descends
- Helicopter Flight Training Manual (2nd Edition)
- FAA Helicopter Flying Handbook
- VID 514786 - Creation
- VID 200696 - Update
DATE OF SUBMISSION
- 12:14, 23 February 2021
- This documentation is copyrighted as part of the intellectual property of the International Virtual Aviation Organisation.
- The content of this documentation is intended for aviation simulation only and must not be used for real aviation operations.